Wednesday, October 12, 2022

The Bluegrass Tavern Chronicles(Chapter 7)

 


                                 Jimmy Smith(Tall Glass of Moonshine)    

                                                  Chapter 7


     I met Jimmy through Joe, they had juxtaposed homes right next to the Tavern, and he looked like he could play for the Boston Celtics as a power forward-a tall glass of moonshine. Jimmy or the sobriquet we used was Smitty who worked at G.E. alongside many who frequent Joe’s place. Jimmy was a decent pool shooter but as the years whittled away I rarely saw him shoot, but he was a cabinet member of the tavern, and that being said, a cabinet member had those fringe benefits that usurped or commandeered the bar at any moment without jurisdiction restrictions, other words, he could walk behind the bar and grab a mug or beer and walk off but he always placed his money on the register. 

      Jimmy had a cool and calm demeanor yet I saw him enraged a few times over mindless, petty, and ridiculous things and he seem to get rattled quite easily, a few times I thought possibly he's unhinged, but he always simmered down, like I said a tall glass of moonshine, very unpredictable man. I had a few run-ins and spurting of mouths from Jimmy and I never wanted trouble, and some days he just didn't seem square with the world, one never knows what plagues a man’s mind. I kept my distance, and always had my gun, and that's an edge he never knew and I was quite the marksman, but thank God, it never came to that, we apologized to each other, and looking back, one person was shot dead in that establishment, and I'm surprised there wasn't more, lots of trouble brewing in that environment where tempers were often impaired by judgment and agility, I'm very surprised it wasn't closed down, and I saw so many fights, that I’ll revisit in another chapter soon. 

    I am not leaving out anything or truths when I'm chronicling this epic narrative. I have witnessed everything that I write in this diary. Jimmy Smith is a great family man, and he had some faith in God and was a devoted Catholic, yet, when he was in a bad mood it was best to place some distance from him and yourself. I still love ole Jimmy Boy, he always made a funny crack that instantly made you laugh, even though he was a tall glass of moonshine. Jimmy Smith has my nomination to the Bluegrass Tavern Hall of Fame, hands down. Peace and love to Smitty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...