Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The Bluegrass Tavern Chronicles(page-8)

 

                                                   Johnny Hibbs(The Bull)

                                                          Chapter 3


    A certain distinctive quality follows a man for most of his hardened life and Johhny Hibbs’ attribute was in my opinion a Minotaur, he looked like a five-year-old Bull ready for the Bull Ring and probably the only bull in history to ever successfully survive a Matador’s sword too. Johnny had muscles in his eyeballs, and his fortitude was an armor of massive flesh that looked like he curled kegs of beer for boredom, he's one person you better not ever cross or fuck with, even though he thought I was some uneducated punk teenager that was open to his barrage of constant insults, Johnny, in my opinion, never liked me, so, I usually mouthed right back without consequence or worry because no one ever frightened me, I didn't care if you were Joe Frazier, my dad always said to stand up to anyone and never let any person bully you. But, Johnny and I never exchanged throws or punches and I have no doubt he could've cleaned my clock and pulled out my intestines, tied them around my body, and played me like a banjo. I guess he did have some civility and discipline after all. 

      My only complaint is Johnny could've had a more warming approach to some teenager he never knew, mind you, I was only 17 years old, I worked for everything I owned which wasn't much, clothes on my back and old car-meaningless stuff. Johnny and I both loved Louisville Cardinals too, but the conversation, arrogance, and disdained humility always ended there, I was a freshman indulging in and conversing with the beer gods of the Bluegrass Tavern. I never wanted trouble with anyone, especially not the bull called Johnny Hibbs but life is the full circle of forgiveness. 

     Johnny Hibbs was the kindest man around certain people, he could charm a harp away from an Angel but when it came to me he found pleasure annoying and belittling me. I never said one negative word about him ever in my life and I admired his stubbornness and ethical restraint, he just didn’t find the time or effort to be friends with me, I buried that axe deep in that bar stool many years ago, and I had one regret and that’s me and Johnny could’ve been enduring lifetime friends because we shared many joys-U of L Sports, horses, and drinking beer. Now, the requiem of that memory and redemption is long past any recovery, if people only took the time to appreciate others life wouldn’t need any rulers. Pax vobiscum, Johnny Hibbs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...