Friday, September 16, 2022

Falling To Pieces Alone



“A bottle of red, a bottle of white

Whatever kind of mood you're in tonight

I'll meet you anytime you want

In our Italian restaurant.” 



Billy Joel’s Scenes From An Italian Restaurant 

always starts the melancholy-the thought of you,

your favorite song you always played first at 

the poker table, memory now bleeds, you always 

called my bluff but never out of disrespect pushed this

old war horse out of the way, some warm Souls are

never worthy of another yet the drift of time and space

seem to automate this pythonic caucus between two

aberrant friends, memories now wamble of our laughter

and of our apprehensions of death, we talked about the

philosophical retrieve of our lives, the list of lost chances and

opportunities abound within the outstretched reach of mortal

confinement and I ask in silence why did you leave us? This

temporal torture clings to my conscience like some ungodly curse, 

this overture of misery affixes every thought, and the ill-fated

destiny from whence you endured, this immersion of sorrow only

leaves me when I'm asleep, thoughts are no more immortal than 

the human who reaps them, an iconism of an afterthought to relive

the aftermath is just too far off to reach, this immanent anathema 

will not dissipate, flushed with guilt always, can't undo the wrong, can't 

rewrite fate’s inglorious page, and I can never bring you back, my dearest

and greatest friend, Dwayne Hutchins. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...