Sunday, July 7, 2019

The Last Duke Of Kentucky(pg. 9)


     I pulled in at Joe's and there was my car sitting alone in the parking lot, I nudged up to my car and got out and left them asleep in the car, thinking the sun will reawake them in no time. 
I headed to Louisville and made my appointment in the nick of time, and reminisced about last night and thinking how wild it was and hoped they all made it home okay, that boy was a mess and he needed help but I thought too he wouldn't take any advice because of his arrogance toward life and he had this entitlement of being privileged because he did some time in a prison cell that qualified himself to some welcoming mat or a silver platter to everything under the sun. He would soon find out life doesn't work that way.
     I headed back to college and a few years went by so quickly, time marches onward to its own beat and slows down for no one, and though I didn't find contentment in the Louisville nightlife, I always headed back to Bardstown for my indulgence of shenanigans, Louisville was just too big for a small town boy like me. I always felt the gals down there in that small town of Bardstown was more genuine, sincere and far better looking. 
     I was at my mother's place when I got the news, the grave news, that Joey made his last jump down by the roller rink, that jump that I said would be his very last, and he had a passenger that miraculously survived but poor Joey wasn't superman enough to lift off a two-ton old car off his head under a twenty foot bluff with a bed of limestone beneath him, it crushed him like a grape, stupidity takes no requiems and life isn't a joyride after all, you may think you're bigger than this life, and she'll let you know in an instant that she holds your life with a silver thread, and the slightest mistake could be your last. Joey was buried, and soon forgotten, but he needed his story told because undoubtedly he was the last Duke of Kentucky. 


                                                             THE END  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...