Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Last Duke Of Kentucky(pg. 6)


     I didn't waste time with many formalities while I walked up to his jalopy and it was 90 degrees out here in Kentucky's Ohio Valley, "Hey gals, I'm Tim, so glad to meet y'all!" I jumped in the passenger's side and away we went.
     "Hit this liquor store on the right," I sounded off, I wanted to get these gals toasted. 
     We pulled in the liquor store and I thought the front wheel was going to fall off, this old clunker was barely running on two cylinders much less one, the brakes barely brought us to a crawl and no air condition. This boy didn't have much class or money, but the gals loved him just the same. One must bow to the absolute absurd at times and accept the glorious facts. 
     "Two-fifths of Jim Beam and a six pack of cokes sir," I hollered from the passenger side of the car and looking back at these two lovely dolls in the rear seat really set a complete lovely nuance within my brain. 
     "That'll be $14.69, and do you need some ice?" He said through the drive-in window and noticed or glanced back and saw the two lovely promiscuous gals in the rear seat and looked at us and smiled. 
     I gave Joey $15.00 dollars to hand over to him and said, "no ice, keep the change." 
     We headed through town and Joey practically turned up a fifth of Beam right in front of a sitting cop in a patrol car, and luckily for us, he didn't notice us and why we didn't stand out in this old pile of junk like sitting ducks is another mystery to me. 
     "Man let's get out of town and take a slow country tour," I said it hopes that would sway Joey from driving with two bottles of whiskey in broad daylight through town.
     "Yeah man, sounds good," Joey said while feeling already giddy and brave from several shots of whiskey from the bottle. 
     He then drove off a steep hill and was flying, really accelerating, and I bit my tongue in complete fear, and I screamed out, "slow down!" 
     "Man come on, I wanted to jump this creek below here, see," as he slowed down he pointed to a dirt pile over a creek, that was mowed off neatly but the jump was risky, it was a 15 foot drop off into a bedrock of limestone if you didn't make the jump and the jump itself was over 20 feet, and we sure didn't have an old 1969 Dodge Charger with a V8-powered engine either.

                                                                    6 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...