Friday, January 11, 2019

The Last Seat(pg.4)


     Rusty looked puzzled as soon as we got out of that cave he was searching through his pants and shirt for something, and I inquired, "you lose something?"
     "Yes, my dad's keys to the garage and tractor!" He said distressfully! 
     "He's gonna kill me. I got to go back in that cave and find them." 
I thought to myself, well I'll wait outside because that lighter has to be running low and I hate caves, I'm a bit claustrophobic and uttered in a low voice, "I'll wait out here then!" 
     "Hell no, you're going to help me find them, four eyes are better than two!" Rusty bleated out.
     So I gathered in what composure I had left and found the reserved courage to head back into this God-fearing awful place, and the lighter was now hot as a firestick, so we dashed in looking at every piece of ground that was filled with bat and other critter droppings. We made it back to the center cavern and there it was again that stone devil's chair. Rusty walked up near where he picked up the book behind the limestone chair, and there it was his dad's keys, and he was so elated hollered out, "found them!" His dad's keys must've fallen out when he placed that ancient book in his pants, and I thought we're already cursed. 
     "Good, now let's get the hell out of here!" I screamed out.
     But, what Rusty did next, still terrifies me today, he sat in that Satan's chair and spewed, "bow to me, you servant!" I did not find this amusing, and I had one wish, to get out of this cave quickly, as my legs now trembled and buckled, I said in return volley, "I'm gone, screw this, I can follow the dim light outside!" 
     I headed out in the darkness following the dim-lit passage out of there and was scared out of my mind, then I felt someone touching me on the shoulder and I looked back and it was Rusty.
     "You think this shit is funny don't ya?" I said in a very serious tone.
     "Oh come on man, just kidding you, lighten up!" Rusty said laughing uncontrollably. 
     We walked together for the next two miles without uttering one word at each other. I was exhausted, scratched-up, and mentally fatigued, then up one more hill there it was, Rusty's home. I said to myself, 'thank God.'
     I walked inside their house and caught a whiff of his mother's delectable cooking and there was no doubt she was a masterful cook. She then softly says, "you boys hungry?" 
    "Yes Mam, I'm starving," I said smiling like the cat who found three blind mice.  
                             
                                                                          4 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...