Thursday, September 20, 2018

My Irreplaceable Dog



                                  I brought him home and he was no bigger than my palm,
                                  he was the runt, but the first in the litter who came to me,
                                  Dad always told me to grab the runt in the litter because
                                  they're the healthiest, smartest, and cutest, and damn if
                                  dad wasn't right, of all in that litter my Archie is the only
                                  dog living, and he's going on 11 years, and healthy as small
                                  horse, yet, the harsh anguish and imparting rush of anxiety
                                  always addresses that he's mortal like me, and I'll never cope
                                  with his death to come, he's a silent killer, always making me
                                  laugh without blurting one word, or sigh, he's always in a great
                                  mood, ready to go for a ride, on the words, "let's go bye-bye,"
                                  he hangs his little head out the window, while propping his little
                                  left paw on the door pad, and the other on my left leg, and he's
                                  happy and content to watch the cars go slowly by, and I wonder
                                  what is he thinking, or does he even care? He's my boy, that's for
                                  damn sure, no other dog has brought me so much joy, so much fun
                                  as ole Arch, he's very smart, and attuned to my emotions as well,
                                  when I'm sad, he goes underneath my armpits and licks me from
                                  an acute angle that only trained acrobats could maneuver, he sleeps
                                  when I do, and will arise at 3:00 A.M. if I get up and grab a moment
                                  or two on the computer, then snoring away right beside me, he's a
                                  gentle dog, loving dog, and my only hero. - John Hardesty
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...