Wednesday, September 16, 2026

The Bluegrass Tavern Chronicles(chapter 12)

 

                                                      Joe Pat Allen


     I met Joe Pat Allen early in my life, he loved sports and enjoyed playing them as well. Joe Pat worked at Burroughs like most adults at his age, either you took seasonal labor outside or you frolicked at some local factory or distillery here in Bardstown. 

     Joe Pat loved his cold mug of beer at Joe’s and everyone did. Joe’s place was home away from home where all your friends lived after work. Joe Pat was a decent pool shooter but I wouldn't say he was near the best and when he was young before his eyes started to go bad, he won a few bucks. He was decent at foosball, what a game that was, very new to Bardstown, too. The game was invented and patented by Harold Searles Thorton in 1921. A serviceman Lawrence Patterson discovered it in Germany in the 1950s and brought it into the United States. In the 1970s, the game took off with madness. A great game. I practiced endlessly, because I had free access, I cleaned up the tavern. We had some historic games on Joe’s foosball table. The winner got free beer. I played front, but was a great back goalie too. Joe Pat often played goalie as my partner. We played long enough to get drunk, then quit, and watched the World Series, or whatever game was on ESPN, or on the local channels. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bluegrass Tavern Chronicles(chapter 12)

                                                        Joe Pat Allen      I met Joe Pat Allen early in my life, he loved sports and enjoyed...