Monday, May 23, 2022

The Bluegrass Tavern Chronicles


                                   The Bluegrass Tavern Chronicles 

                                                   by John Hardesty


     This true yarn of magnificent pieces unravels slowly over the decades, the Godfather of it all is Joe Lawrence Thompson, who bought a parcel of land by the Bluegrass Parkway(Interstate highway) and fulfilled his dream and that was a local bar that served Joe burgers, fries, and the coldest draft beer on tap. Joe’s life and story must be retold in his 70-plus years of existence, his life was impressive enough to be written and read. I worked for Joe when I was a kid, my first job too, so, I have firsthand knowledge of the familiar patrons who frequent Joe’s bar, there were many too who stopped by his establishment and flopped on a barstool to have a cold draft beer on tap and listening to Joe’s infinite wisdom on life. 

     This chronicle will list a short story about EVERYONE who visited The Bluegrass Tavern or commonly known as Joe’s Place, but first, I'll open this incredible log with the Godfather, Joe L. Thompson. 


                                          Joe Lawrence Thompson


     I just got my driver’s license, and my very first car, a 1973 Vega, that I saved up for all my life, my dad was monumental in helping me get my car and my first ever job in the real world; my summertime school recession and endless farm hand jobs were nothing compared to my new endeavor, cleaning the new Bluegrass Tavern. My dad introduced me to a man, Joe Lawrence Thompson, whom I will say was my second dad, yes, we disagreed on many things and squabbled over trite and trivial affairs, but, he was an honest, caring, and forgiving soul. 

    Early in my working career at the tavern, I had to wake up Joe every morning to get the keys to clean up the Tavern before I went to school, I was a Freshmen at Nelson County School, and he wasn't a fan of being woke up at 5:30 in the morning, especially when he gambled away the sun before sunrise, so, he invested in me with the keys to the Bluegrass Tavern, which I took with great care, attention, and respect. 

     Joe L. was an Army veteran, and yet, I've never heard him say anything about his Army tenure or tour of duty, and not too many ever did, so, I never brought it up. Joe was employed at the old Lily Tulip franchise, right across from the new Nelson County high school. He hated that working place too. 


                                                                       1


     




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...