Monday, August 31, 2020

The Race Home(short story- page 6)

 

          The Cabin Inn days were filled with so much excitement and trouble, make no mistake this was a bikers’ bar too, I many times was accosted by drunken rednecks, who thought I was this fragile punk but they soon found out the hard way, I was a great boxer; I ran or jogged regardless of any hangover 2-3 miles every morning, then pummeled a speed bag for twenty minutes, beat an old tire I placed in the backyard of our home with two bats for another twenty minutes then closed out shadow boxing for another twenty minutes, my endurance was phenomenal, a long story short, my record at Cabin Inn in the fighting category was 22-0. Fact. 

          The rear of Cabin Inn was my favorite place, two pool tables were strategically placed in the back east end of this huge place and my favorite table-the Foosball table, in which I rarely lost at, I drank for free for hours on that table until I was buzzed or grew tired of playing. I love that game, still hold my own too. Now, through the rear of this bar was the biggest outdoor deck I’ve ever seen, still is too, benches cradled the outer deck all way around this deck. I smoked the best weed in my life back on this deck, and it was free. I always hooked up with the prettiest gal in the place too, especially on the weekends, and the respect I drew from others was a bond I’ll never forget. I met some of the most amazing people from all parts of the state in this club, eccentric musicians, conniving attorneys, and a few shy doctors, those conversations were about life and I managed to appear wiser than my age. 

          The Wednesday nights were just for adventure, I just got high and tuned into the band on those nights, and when closing time came, I sobered up and drove my car back the twenty miles across the county. I tried to sneak in but my baby Tara always greeted me with so much fervor and joy, she literally barked out my name, and she many times awoke my family, we calmed down and went to the basement where I’d watch some television before I nodded off, but Tara was always beside me in bed, she was a great dog, so smart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...