Thursday, April 11, 2019

Walking A Tightrope Over The Ohio River(pg. 15)

     I grabbed my cash and headed to the hotel room still elated from the adrenaline rushing through my veins, no doubt this was the greatest Herculean task I've ever done thus far in my life. I showered and caught up with the boys before they headed back home, and I was drained but smiling like Cool Hand Luke. 
     The weekend went by so quickly, it doesn't take long to spend less than two days since we headed back on Sunday night, but it was always great to see mom, dad, and my sisters and brothers. I was tanned like a bronze god, and muscles were popping out all over my body, I worked hard and the aesthetics were reflected in every mirror, my sisters took so many pictures of me, I guess they were proud of me, but I was shy and was never indulgent in vanity, that was for movie stars. 
     The following Monday came and we all ate at the Dairy Queen, and there was Bobby who I'd figure would be a bit sore from losing the bet but was cordial and even bought my breakfast that morning.
     "Man, that was so awesome to watch you tightrope that cable like Spiderman," Bobby said admiring me and the ridiculous, insane, and reckless feat.
     "Thanks, Bobby I truly appreciate it, but you know I thought I'd made a bad bet the first step when I almost fell to my death and realized this wasn't a dream or a game," I said with a gratifying smile. 
     Those local boys bought my breakfast every day after that, and I guess I was their hero that summer and hope to think they told their grandkids about me because that bridge(Milton-Madison) no longer sits on the great Ohio River and only the ghost of Bill Muncey rumbling through the waters below and a passing memory of that summer now only resides. 

                                                                The End 

                                                     
                                                                     15
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...