Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Walking A Tightrope Over The Ohio River(pg.10)


     I always took up for Stingray but today was different, he could've killed us because a drop at 240 feet into this water is like hitting concrete. Stingray was warned by Terry and that was the end of that, we went on like nothing ever happened. I was still quite shaken up by this and I usually don't show any weakness but this stayed with me, we were helpless in a hapless situation that could've turned very deadly. 
     August came and we had one part of the bridge repaired and the other half in a redlight zone. The sun was blistering down daily and the heat really wore on me, one day I looked at two cables that were parallel to each other that stretched all way across the bridge almost a mile long, and I thought that I could tightrope these wires, holding on two hands while my feet rested on the one beneath, and inch my way across this bridge in a daredevilish way, so I slid down the trestle which was scolding hot, and looked below and got in that trance that we were warned not to, it literally makes the bridge move instead of the river and gives you immediate vertigo, but I stopped and grabbed the top cable and pulled myself up, and rested my two feet on the cable line below and inched my way about ten feet and thought damn this is very dangerous but fun. I looked up and two local boys were watching me as I jumped back on the trestle and climbed back up. 
     "Wow, that was fun," I hollered out laughing.
     "You are crazy as Hell doing that," one of the locals named Bobby said.
     "Why, I do it every day?" 
     "But not like this those cables, they're too bouncy and you could lose your grip."
     "Man, I can slide alway across this bridge one end to the other," I blurted out heroically. 
     "I bet you a hundred dollars you can't," Bobby said, so cocky. 
     "I can't do it today while working, I'll have to do it after work," I said hoping he'll say no.
     "Fine with me, shake on this, a hundred dollar bill you won't make it all way across," he said pulling out his sweaty palm for a handshake of trust. 
     "Great, it's a bet," I said while shaking his hand, and thinking to myself what have I gotten myself into this time, this is the stupidest thing I've ever done and most dangerous.

                                                           10

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mornings Are Hell

The mornings bring their misery and reassurance  of my life’s decline, hollow the marrow of life, empty the cup of hope and filled the plate...