Saturday, November 10, 2018
The Long Road Back
The morning started with an old Christmas song,
as I stared back into the looking glass of time,
the wear of memories covered now with frost and fog,
though a song beckoned me back to this recollection,
the long glorious road to my childhood,
now, vacant as travelers to a cemetery,
though a reprise and a simple song captures
a momentary reminiscence of that very day,
yet, softening the dire pain becomes inconsolable;
why upon the Holidays?
I ask again, why did you commit suicide on New Year's Eve?
On December of that day, I walked away forever,
swore to me- myself the privilege to jettison all memories,
yet, the jetsam of ruth always returns to the shorelines of December,
and with it the pandora box of everlasting grief,
I can't deflect the crushing blow of remembrance,
futility abides no laws,
we only relinquish tears when the song,
Auld Lang Syne ends another chapter of your absence.
- John Hardesty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Blue Grass Tavern Chronicles(chapter 13)
Donnie Bradley Donnie Bradley was one of the greatest buddies anyone c...
-
This bazaar behavior from Tara went on for over 10 months, she still awoke me each night growling and barking back into the nigh...
-
A memory will last longer than a lifetime of disappointment, And disappointment will outlast God’s eternity; When the rooster crows in the...
-
One morning cleaning up behind the bar there was a loaded sawed-off double-barrel shotgun propped up beside the cooler underneath the...
No comments:
Post a Comment